Events

International Women’s Day 2022

Reading time

To celebrate International Women’s Day 2022  wanted to celebrate the work of some of our amazing colleagues in the College of Social Science.

Dr Chloe Gilgan, Lincoln Law School

I guess the work I care about the most is providing written evidence to the Foreign Affairs Select Committee as I care about the impact of my work around preventing and responding to mass atrocities. While I have published on international human rights, it is the contribution to society (not just academia) that is most fulfilling. Most recently, I provided written evidence on the UK’s response to the Xinjiang detention camps. Here is a link to my submission https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/13493/html/ which answers one question posed by the Committee: How effective is the FCDO’s current approach to atrocity prevention, and how can it be restructured to maximise the UK’s impact in this area?

Dr Chloe Wilson, Lincoln Law School

I am a Lecturer in Law at Lincoln Law School and I graduated with a PhD from the University of Hull in 2021. My research was a funded scholarship in partnership with the Wilberforce Institute. My research focused on human trafficking and restorative justice – particularly victim identification, referral and treatment. I conducted primary research, engaging with key practitioners and stakeholders to better understand the wider victim pathway. This led to suggestions for policy reform, updated guidance and an ‘Every Victim Matters’ framework. During my PhD, I taught in both Higher Education and Further Education where I developed and delivered modules in law and criminal justice. Following my PhD, I held two post-doctoral positions with the University of Hull, working on various projects including; Athena Swan, REF Assessment, Humberside Police Project and University Engagement. My research and career outputs include; publications, presenting research at conferences, working with law firms and for HM Government’s Home Office. During my time in academia I also volunteered as a Special Constable leading to involvement in; community initiatives, victim campaigns, warrants, arrests and raids.

In October, I running the London Marathon in support of Action Aid – an international charity that works with women and girls to fight violence and poverty.

www.instagram.com/theresearchrunner

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/theresearchrunner

Dr Ana Jordan, School of Social and Political Sciences

I am an Associate Professor in the School of Social and Political Sciences and my research focus on the politics of masculinity in a variety of contexts, including examinations of men’s movements, fatherhood, gender-based violence on campus, and suicide. My research monograph, The ‘New’ Politics of Fatherhood: Men’s Movements and Masculinities (2019), examines the role of men and changing masculinities in creating equality and/or reinforcing inequality, analysing diverse men’s movements, their politics, and the identities they (re)construct. I am currently working on two projects: Caregiving Dads, Breadwinning Mums: Routes and barriers to greater gender equality in caring responsibilities (funded by the Nuffield Foundation) https://organisingworkandchildcare.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/ and Suicide in/as Politics (funded by the Leverhulme Trust) https://blogs.ed.ac.uk/suicide-in-as-politics/.

Dr Coral Sirdifield, School of Health & Social Care

Since working for the University of Lincoln, I have been involved with a number of projects in the Criminal Justice and Health field. My work has included: – An impact assessment of Health Trainers in criminal justice settings (DH) – Updating a systematic review of prison mental health (PHRN) – Piloting and evaluating mental health awareness training for probation staff across the East Midlands (CSIP East Midlands) – An NIHR Research for Patient Benefit Programme funded project investigating the prevalence of mental health disorder and substance misuse amongst offenders on probation, their needs and patterns of service access – A Health Needs Assessment in police custody suites across Northumbria – An NIHR RfPB study around mapping healthcare provision for people on probation and producing a toolkit for commissioners – An ESRC funded study around the impact of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic on probation’s health-related role and the lived experience of accessing health support whilst under probation supervision. I am also part of the Community and Health Research Group, and have worked on metasyntheses of research on GPs’ experiences and perceptions of benzodiazepine prescribing in primary care, and patients’ experiences and perceptions of seeking and using BZDs and z-drugs. I have also worked on a project looking at the Quality and Costs of Primary Care.

https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

Dr Kyla Pennington, School of Psychology

I am a Senior Lecturer and have been at the University of Lincoln since April 2013.  I studied for my PhD in the psychopathology of schizophrenia at the Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, my PGDip in Psychology (Distinction) was from York St John University and my BSc in Neuroscience was from Glasgow University.  My PhD research focussed on the psychopathology of schizophrenia aiming to elucidate neuronal and biochemical processes involved in brain regions such as the prefrontal and insular cortices. More recently, my research has investigated cognitive processes linked to mental health vulnerability and the effects that genetic variation and stress may play. My lab is currently focussed on these main areas of research: 1) The role of schizotypy in response and recovery to a psychosocial stressor 2) The effects of a mindfulness intervention on cortisol levels, heart rate variability and executive function 3) The biological mechanisms by which risk factors impact on mental health and wellbeing.

https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

Dr Trish Jackman, School of Sport & Exercise Science

I teach across five undergraduate and two postgraduate programmes in the School of Sport and Exercise Science. I lead Lincoln Sport and Exercise Psychology Research and my research focuses on optimal experiences in sport and exercise. This work seeks to understand the positive, rewarding experiences that athletes and exercisers have during sport and physical activity to understand how these experiences can be promoted. More specifically, my research clusters around themes such as flow and clutch states, performance under pressure, goal setting, and self-regulation. In addition, I am currently leading research projects on mental wellbeing in doctoral students and consultation projects for external organisations.

https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

Professor Karen Harrison, Lincoln Law School

I am a Professor of Law and Penal Justice in Lincoln Law School and I graduated with a Ph.D. from the University of Wales – Aberystwyth in 2004. Over the last 20 years I have established a national and international profile in sentencing and penal policy. I have written extensively on the legal and ethical implications of risk reduction and management strategies with high-risk sex offenders, often writing with criminologists and psychologists. I completed a number of funded empirical projects including one looking at why British South Asian women fail to report sexual abuse and another examining the implementation of Body-Worn Cameras in Humberside Police. I am the author of Dangerousness, Risk and the Governance of Serious Sexual and Violent Offenders (2011), the editor of Managing High Risk Sex Offenders in The Community (2010) and co-edited with Dr. Bernadette Rainey, The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Legal and Ethical Aspects of Sex Offender Treatment and Management (2013). My most recent publication is Penology: Theory, Policy and Practice (2019). I am an editorial board member of the Journal of Sexual Aggression and the book review editor for both the Prison Service Journal and Sexual Offending: Theory, Research and Prevention.

https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

Dr Katie Hunt, Lincoln Law School

I am a legal scholar and researcher who joined the School in 2019 as a Lecturer in Law, specialising in criminal law and criminal justice. Before coming to Lincoln, I taught at the University of Southampton, Keele University, and Stockport College. I have a PhD in Law for my research on ‘grief without God’, an empirical study investigating non-religious prisoners’ access to pastoral care and bereavement support through the lens of the Equality Act 2010. I am accredited by Advance HE as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I take a socio-legal approach to teaching, informed by my academic background in gender and sexuality, my interests in feminism, anti-racism and LGBTQ+ issues, and my ongoing research on equality and discrimination. In 2020, I was shortlisted for University of Lincoln’s Inspirational Teacher of the Year award.

https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

Dr Lauren Hall, Dr Lyndsey Harris and Dr Lauren Smith, School of Social & Political Sciences and Schcool of Psychology

The Safer Lincolnshire Partnership has used a Ministry of Justice Women’s Community Sector Core Costs Funding Grant, awarded to Lincolnshire Action Trust, to create a new Lincolnshire Women’s Strategy to facilitate the delivery in Lincolnshire of the outcomes sought by the Ministry of Justice’s Female Offender Strategy 2018. Lincolnshire Women and Girls Network (LWGRN) was established by the CoSS academics after completing research  with women that informed the strategy and identified a local need to enhance that evidence base for the development, implementation and assessment of Lincolnshire Women’s Strategy. To coincide with International Women’s Day, we have invited local practitioners, commissioners, academics and students to come to the launch of the network and help us develop the next steps.

Vision of Lincolnshire Women and Girls Research Network

The interdisciplinary approaches required to examine issues impacting Women and Girls mean that the vision is for the Network to be open to academics, practitioners, students and people who access women’s services, within the University, Lincolnshire and further afield. Additionally providing a peer supportive space for women in academia.

Aims of Lincolnshire Women and Girls Research Network

Develop the conceptual and instrumental impact and reach of research

• To be an externally facing example of internationally recognised expertise in developing an understanding of, and appropriate responses to, the societal and health challenges experienced by women and girls.
  • Support collaborations and build capacity to respond to external funding opportunities.
  • Lead public engagement and knowledge exchange
  • Maintain and grow the research and practice development network across discipline partners with a commitment to improving the lives and health of women and girls
  • To strengthen the University’s relationships and partnerships with organisations that work to support women and girls in line with its position as a civic University
  • Enhancing local learning and practice alongside the development of national and international research and practice collaboration
  • Foster scholarship that will improve teaching and research -led activities
  • Providing a supportive and inclusive space for women in academia.
  • Facilitating innovations in research methodologies and pedagogical practice concerned with sensitive topics
  • Attract postgraduate students and develop funded studentships with partners.

Miss Rebecca Hawkins, School of Sport & Exercise Science

I am a Senior Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Psychology and a PhD Researcher looking at Goal Setting for Physical Activity Promotion Research. You can find out more about my research here https://twitter.com/_RebeccaHawkins

Ms Carol Duff, School of Health & Social Care

With more than four million client contacts every week, Allied health Professionals (AHPs) hold tremendous power to tackle health inequalities (Royal Society for Public Health and Public Health England 2015). We know that the past two years have been incredibly challenging ones for allied health professionals, the health and care community and wider UK and global population. AHPs faced considerable challenges and witnessed and experienced the extent of deep health inequalities that exist among our communities and those we seek to help and support. The impact of health inequalities often lead to people ending up with more severe and complex health care needs that impact on their ability to function and often things that could have been prevented with earlier intervention.

From the inception of the MSc Occupational Therapy Programme at the University of Lincoln in 2019, I have been encouraging occupational therapy students to explore health inequalities through their studies of occupational deprivation and the importance of engaging with underserved groups in practice. The hope is that will create a future workforce skilled to address health inequalities and use a preventative approach to health and wellbeing. A short case study on this work was shared and consequently published by the King’s Fund who were developing the AHP Health Inequalities Framework (see page 21). In addition this case study has also now also been selected for publication on the WHO Collaborating Centre for Public Health Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions: Case Studies webpage: https://ukhsalibrary.koha-ptfs.co.uk/whoccphnm/case-studies/

The team are proud to see their work recognised both Nationally and Internationally.

Dr Rachael Sharpe, School of Education

Along with staff in the School of Education, I have been developing the Lincolnshire Learning Lab – a group set up to help improve the learning of all children and the working environments for teachers within Lincolnshire. Bringing academic rigour and evidence-based research into the classroom by engaging those interested in the education across Lincolnshire.

Find out more: https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

Dr Ros Kane, School of Health & Social Care

I am an Associate Professor in the College of Social Science, where I co-lead the Mental Health, Health and Social Care Research Group (MH2aSC).  With a background in nursing, I graduated from the University College London (UCL) with a BSc (Hons) in Anthropology and Geography and from The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) with an MSc in Medical Demography. I worked for ten years in the Centre for Sexual and Reproductive Health Research at LSHTM where I completed my PhD in 2005. I have a strong interest in quality improvement as well as service and policy evaluation, particularly in relation to Public Health. I am also the lead for the Health Education England/NIHR funded Clinical Academic Careers Internship Programme across the Midlands and East.

https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

Professor Sundari Anitha, School of Social & Political Sciences

Having come to the UK from India as an Inlaks scholar, I obtained my PhD from SOAS in 2003 and joined the University of Lincoln in 2010. I am a REF 2021 sub-panel member for Main Panel C: UOA 21, Sociology. My research interests lie in two areas across the disciplines of Social Policy, Sociology, Criminology and Politics: (i) the problem of violence against women and girls (VAWG) in diverse contexts including the UK, US and India; prevention, protection and criminal justice responses to this problem; the politics of intersectionality and the connections between violence within homes and outside (race, ethnicity, class, gender, and migration); domestic violence and abuse, including particular manifestations such as dowry-related abuse, forced marriage, transnational forms of violence such as abandonment of wives and domestic servitude; sexual violence including everyday forms of sexual harassment in online and offline spaces; and gender-based violence in university communities. (ii) Linked to this research is my ongoing interest in issues of gender, race and ethnicity in employment relations; employment experiences of South Asian diasporas in the UK;  organisation of/industrial action by migrant women workers. As Research Fellow at the University of Leeds (2007-2009), I researched South Asian women’s participation in the Grunwick and Gate Gourmet industrial disputes with Prof Ruth Pearson (University of Leeds) and Prof Linda McDowell (University of Oxford). With a Follow-on grant from the AHRC and in collaboration with Ruth Pearson, I drew upon this research to produce resources for non-academic audiences—these include an exhibition on South Asian women’s role in the struggle for workers’ rights in the UK, an educational website aimed at secondary school children which has received over 2.75 million visits, and a two-part comic based on the life stories of women workers we interviewed for our research (see web links on this page). In collaboration with Prof Anupama Roy, JNU, India, I undertook a study of transnational marriage abandonment in India over 2013-16 (see weblink), the first research on this subject. In partnership with Southall Black Sisters and Dawson Cornwall Solicitors, we acted on the recommendations of this research and persuaded the family justice system in England & Wales to recognise transnational marriage abandonment as a form of domestic abuse. This revised definition of domestic abuse was outlined in its amended Practice Direction 12j, which came into force on 2 October 2017. My ongoing research projects include a study of Forced Marriage Protection Orders (see: https://fmpo.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/forced-marriage-protection-orders/ ), a review of UK university policies on gender-based violence (GBV), and a study on Polish women’s experiences of domestic violence in the UK In between academic jobs, I have previously managed a Women’s Aid refuge and worked as an Advice Worker for Asha Projects, a specialist refuge for survivors of domestic violence. I have been active in campaigns and policy-making on violence against women, including forced marriage. I am currently a trustee of two London-based charities—a specialist refuge for survivors of domestic violence, Asha projects; and ATLEU (anti-trafficking and labour exploitation unit), which provides legal representation to victims of trafficking and labour exploitation.

https://staff.lincoln.ac.uk/

About the Author

amgillard

136 Articles

About the Author

spalfrey

30 Articles